Last modified on March 7, 2023 at 11:44 am

Utility Billing

All occupied city buildings must have water, sewer, and trash-collection service. The Utility Billing office provides customer service to the city’s water, sewer and sanitation customers, including starting and stopping service, ordering roll-off dumpsters, and responding to inquiries about billing.


Per city code, the City of Elkins is the only allowed provider of trash-collection service inside city limits. The City of Elkins cannot offer trash-collection service outside city limits. The Utility Billing Department does not handle special bulk trash collection. Learn more about sanitation services.


Water service is billed based on metered usage. The City of Elkins uses meters that transmit usage information electronically. Usage information is usually collected around the middle of each month.


Sewer service is billed based on metered water consumption. The city will adjust your sewer bill based on water usage to fill a pool. Please contact one of the below staff members for information on applying for such an adjustment.

Make an online payment today!

Pay Utilities Now

Starting and Stopping Services

Starting Service

New water, sewer, and trash-collection service may be arranged at the front counter on the main floor of city hall. You will need to fill out an application. Please bring photo identification.

Stopping Service

Stopping water, sewer, and/or trash-collection services must be requested in writing.


Current Rates

Water Rates

Sewer Rates



Water, sewer, and trash-collection services are all billed on the same statement.

  • Bills are issued monthly on the last business day of the month.
  • Payments are due no later than 19 days after the bill date.
  • Unpaid accounts will be shut off 32 days after the bill date.
Ways to Pay
  • Online
  • By U.S. mail
  • By dropping payment in the secure payment box located in the parking lot behind city hall
  • In-person at the front counter on the main floor of city hall

Acceptable forms of payment include cash, money orders, personal checks and credit or debit cards.

Help with Bills

If you are in need of assistance paying water or sewer bills, please check with these organizations:

1027 North Randolph Avenue

North Central Community Action
938 South Davis Avenue

Salvation Army
203 Randolph Army



Helping Hand
105 First Street

Catholic Charities W. Va.
1513 Harrison Avenue, Ste. C10

If you need help paying electricity bills, please visit Mon Power’s assistance program page.

For More Information

Carolyn Dolly

401 Davis Avenue
Elkins, WV 26241
304.636.1414, ext. 1720 (office)

Dan Stemple

401 Davis Avenue
Elkins, WV 26241
304.636.1414, ext. 1715 (office)

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Stay up to date with the latest news and alerts by signing up for our newsletter!

You have Successfully Subscribed!